How much does it cost to live in a nursing home?
Effective April 1, 2014, the maximum amount to be paid by nursing home residents is $113 per diem (per day). This amount may be readjusted from time to time. On a monthly basis, this would amount to $3437.08.
What does that per diem amount cover?
This daily cost covers your room and board services.
The following items are provided to each resident at no extra cost:
· Denture Care Supplies (i.e. denture adhesives/cups/cleaners, etc.)
· Diabetic Supplies
· Disposable Incontinence Care supplies
· Disposable Razors
· Facial Tissues
· Foot Care Equipment
· Hygiene products (i.e. body lotion, body wash, shampoo & conditioner, soap, etc.)
· Minor Medical Equipment & Supplies (i.e. bandages, bed pans, etc.)
· Mouth Care Supplies (i.e. mouthwash, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.)
· Nail Care Equipment (clippers, file, manicures, etc.)
Can I get financial assistance to help pay the costs?
If you can afford to pay your nursing home room and board costs from income, you must do so. If you feel you cannot afford the costs, you can apply to the Department of Social Development for a subsidy. The first step in getting a subsidy is to ask for a financial assessment. You can do this any time after the Department of Social Development has evaluated your situation.
If I get a subsidy, will all my expenses be covered?
You will still be responsible for some personal expenses. For example, everyone must arrange their own transportation when they enter the nursing home. Residents in a nursing home, even those on financial assistance, are responsible for:
• clothing and personal items, such as dry cleaning, barber/hairdresser
• cost of any medication not covered by the Prescription Drug Program
• making funeral and burial arrangements
• participation fees for eye glasses/examinations and dentures/dentist
• podiatrist charges
• van service for outings to pre-arranged medical appointments
• telephone and cable T.V. expenses
If you have questions about costs of services, feel free to contact us.
Copyright 2011 Kiwanis Nursing Home Inc. All rights reserved